Brick by Brick Forums Forum Index Brick by Brick Forums
For the BXB Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

***The Official Movie Review Thread***
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brick by Brick Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: ***The Official Movie Review Thread*** Reply with quote

Hey i thought it would be a good idea to have a topic reviewing movies that come out in the theaters. The only thing I ask you to do is if you are discussing important plot details please say that you are before doing so. I hate reading or hearing about plot details to a movie I've never seen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Steven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll start.

TRANSFORMERS

Was awesome. Everyone should go see it. Especially if you use to watch the cartoon when you were a kid, like I did. Shia Lebouf is a pimp in the movie. I don't know how that guy does it. But seriously it was an awesome movie.

BTW, for those that have seen it, what did you think about that really weird trailer before the movie. The one with the Blair Witch Project handcam footage? Looks intriguing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Beau

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to see this movie I would say you'd be better off waiting for the DVD. The movie wasn't really bad, but it wasn't really great either, and it sure as heck wasn't at all scary. (Though, the 13 year old girls who sat behind me in the theater seemed to think it was) OK, I guess if you're a 13 year old girl then you'll get your money's worth out of this film. Everyone else just sit tight for a month or two and wait for the DVD.
Beau

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resident Evil Extinction

Over all this wasn't all that bad a movie. The acting wasn't too bad and the special effects were almost first rate. I did feel that the plot was a bit of a stretch though. It didn't really seem to pick up very well from where the second movie left off. There were some cool fights in it and plenty of zombies getting cut to peices, but it seemed a little far fetched in the area of how the virus had run it's course. In many ways it seemed like this movie didn't really fit in with the over all plot direction of the series. It's kind of like Termitaor 3. Really cool action move, but not nearly the plot depth of the first two. I recomend only seeing it if you have seen the first two movies and are a big fan of the games and the series as a whole.
Steven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kingdom

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. As one of my friends stated, "everything that Jamie Foxx touches turns to gold." He's right. The Kingdom is a great movie that accurately portrays something that could happen today. I also really did not notice too much political propaganda, but I also was really trying to pay attention to everything going on action wise though. Overall I would give this movie 5 out of 5 stars. The last 20 minutes are really intense and I felt emotionally drained after watching it. Well worth the $8.25 I paid for it.
isaac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rendition

this movie was decent, it adressed an important topic, but failed to actually deal with the topic. Like I said it was not bad-- but it was all black and white, some characters were distinctly anti-rendition, some for it, but they were all unwavering in their feeling. this is too complicated a topic to just see in black and white. Also, the lot was convoluted and somewhat poorly shot. About halfway through the movie it seems that the characters go back in time---- for no good reason. IT would make sense in a fantasy style movie, but the movie was shot in a distinct realism, that was shattered when the plot thickened. The performaces were good, but scattered and shallow. I expected more
Beau

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batman Dead End

This wasn't really a movie. It was a short film made by a a guy who had worked for a special effects company. He made the film to use as a business card that he could give to potential employers. The cast is made up almost exclusively of unknown actors. The only actor in the film who has had national exposer is Andrew Koenig who played "Boner" on Growing Pains. He plays the Joker in this film, and does a pretty good job with the part. This film is short, sweet, and to the point. Joker escapes from Arkham, Batman goes out to catch him, they exchange some dialog and then an alien from the movies series "Aliens" comes out of left field grabs the Joker and yanks him into the darkness. I know this doesn't really make any sense ,but like I said, the guy was trying to show off his special effects talents not his writing skills. So, after it kills the Joker (I guess), the alien returns for Batman. The next 20 sec of the film are really the only bad part. The whole project was put together on a shoestring budget, which means they had to make a few sacrifices here and there. One of them was the fact that the alien is clearly a guy in a rubber costume who's tail is being suspended by a string. You can't see the string but you can tell it's there. The alien then tackles Batman, and when they land the whole alien costume jiggles like a jello mold. In most cases I would be all over these guys for this type of thing, but in this case I can forgive them because I know how low a budget they had, and even though this part is a little sketchy the rest of the film is great. They two of them struggle on the ground for a few seconds and then you see a triple laser sight on the alien's head. I think we all know what that means, Predator. After the Predator blows up the aliens head he and Batman throw down. This fight takes up the rest of the film, and is almost as good as the fight between Arnold and the Predator. It's cool to see Batman get his butt handed to him for most of the fight only to turn it around and put himself in position for the kill in classic Batman style. It seems like he has the fight rapped up until three more Predators show up. At this point Batman turns around to "face like a man" what seems to be a fight he can't win. And then you see two more aliens slowly creep out of the darkness right behind him as the Predators begin to target them with their guns. End film. I know it doesn't seem like much, but trust me it's a cool film. I try not to tell the entire story of a movie on this forum, but I did in this case because of how hard it is to see this film in it's entirety. I'm sure that many of you reading this have never even heard of this film until now, and trust me it's hard to come by. I've been trying find a way to see it for almost 4 years now and was only just recently able to see a bootleg DVD copy of the film. If you ever get the chance to see it it's well worth the 10 min it takes to watch it, and if you're into any type of comic book stuff at all you'll enjoy it.

Last edited by Beau on Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
JRock

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bee Movie

Yea I saw it...what of it.
I give this movie a B for obvious reasons.

Beowolf..........

Beowolf good, loud Grendel bad, Angelina Jolie hot, CGI instead of real actors....sad
C+
isaac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently seen possibly the best movie I have ever seen-- Once. It is a simple, beautiful, moving story about an Irish busker and a friend who meet and make music together. Absolutley brilliant. I cannot say enough about this movie, its is amazazing.
JRock

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accross the universe

It was kind of Beatley. The songs were definitely better the first time around. But some of the imagery was good. I give it a B- due to the Indy feel of it but the minus because of the second rate singing.

Jumper

This was crap and that's really the best I have to say about it. I would have gladly waited and paid a $1 to see it. Any movie that condones robbing banks and giving what for to the "bad" good guys. I mean there was one point in the movie where the dude sees stranded flood victims in the movie and all he does is get up to fix himself a sandwhich.....D+ for the nifty throwing the double decker bus scene and all the scenic locales.
Beau

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw "Thirty Days of Night". Great movie! If you like comics or vampires you should watch it. If you've read the comics you'll notice a few changes in the story, but for the most part it sticks to the same basic plot. I also thought it was really cool to see a vampire movie that made them out to be blood sucking monsters again instead of high class rich goth socialites. Doesn't Hollywood realize that if we keep making movies like that people will continue to think that being goth is cool?
weirdkirby

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beowulf

Awesome movie. I don't remember that actual literary classic much, but the animations in this movie are entirely realistic... you'd almost swear that it was live-action.
JRock

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, 30 days of night sucked a fat one! And by fat one I mean hot steaming ball of bat dung.

So, you're tellin me that humans can sneak around vampires that run 30-40 mph...that you can smell a person's blood, but can't tell theyre under a car and that, somehow, 1 recently turned vampire can make all the other vampires just disappear..I mean wtf did they go.

Lame. C- good on gore, poor on plot and pretty much everything else.
weirdkirby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Man

Pretty good for a beginning super hero flick. Downey Jr's sarcasm makes the entire movie hilarious. The teaser after the credits sets up a movie scheduled for release July 2011!
Chris
Site Admin

Location: Plotting World Domination... this world isn't all that big...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.

If you haven't seen The Dark Knight, drop everything you're doing and go see it. RIGHT NOW. Okay, well, it's not showing right now considering I'm posting this in the morning here, but whenever it becomes time that movies are shown in your area, go see this movie. 10/10, A++, however you want to say it, if you see one movie in theaters this year, make it this one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brick by Brick Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: