Brick by Brick Forums Forum Index Brick by Brick Forums
For the BXB Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video Game Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brick by Brick Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris
Site Admin

Location: Plotting World Domination... this world isn't all that big...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Video Game Thread Reply with quote

I figure since we have one for movies, why not have one for game stuff as well.

Starting things off with something I think Beau would be interested in, at least:
http://www.jeux-france.com/news22039_advance-wars-2-au-mgs.html

Looks like they're taking the series in a new direction in terms of look and style. As far as I'm concerned, if it's AW-style gameplay with say, Front Mission style and feel to it? Freakin' awesome.

BTW, I heard there was a Front Mission 5 for the PS2, but it never came out here :/
Beau

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halo 3

I don't own this game, but I have been playing it quite often due to my friends who have it. While it is better than the second instalment this game in no way lives up to the hype that surrounded it. I still fail to understand what exactly makes the "The best FPS ever". The first installment made some inovative changes to the genera, but both sequals have only made moderate improvements to the series. You only have the most basic of human abilities. You can run, walk, jump, and crouch. That's it. You can't put your back against a wall for cover and lean out to shoot from behind it. If you find a good sniping point you can't lay on the ground with the sniper rifle even though it does have a bipod on it. For some odd reason you can only carry one of each type of gun unless you are dual wielding some of the smaller hand guns. The game allows you to catty two weapons at a time just not two of the same weapon. I really don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to run around firing a battle rifle and have a second battle rifle strapped to my back. I'm pretty sure I could do that in real life. Some weapons slow you down when you have them equiped like the rocket launcher. I guess this is because of it being so heavy and awkward. That would make sense were it not for the fact that if you swap it on to your back for a rifle it's wieght seems to no longer have an affect on you. Somehow you're able to run and jump around as if there were nothing on your back at all. This also holds true for a few other weapons as well. You can't do a combat roll or a belly crawl like any real life soldier, however just as in the first two Halo games, you can jump ten feet strait up into the air. The game does have it's strong points. I think that the map editor in the multiplayer game is a great idea. Being able to customize your armor is also cool, but of coures, in classic microsoft fashion, you can't unlock all of the armor by playing the game you also have to get online and play. This makes sense. I think it's great that after dropping $60 on a game they want you to pay of a year of XBOX live as well if you want to unlock all of the games features, and God forbid you live in an area without broadband. Over all I do think that Halo 3 is a pretty good game. It's a solid FPS that's fun to play with your friends. I just don't think that it's the best FPS/game ever made. I give it a 7 out of 10.
Chris
Site Admin

Location: Plotting World Domination... this world isn't all that big...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you know... the whole new look of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin was awesome... until I found out that there's also this and this coming out. Now I'm kinda missing the old look; I'm sure not everyone liked the less-serious approach to tactical warfare, but considering that there's already a ton of other strategy games out there that take the dark, serious approach, I'm starting to wonder if maybe a little variety wasn't a good thing. Ah well, who am I kidding, watching preview videos like this, I'm sure I'll still probably be addicted to it for months on end, hehe... but I might pop in Dual Strike every so often, just for kicks, hehe.
Beau

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assassin's Creed

This is a great game. I know a lot of people seem to be complaining about it, but they shouldn't be. You play as a guy who is the descendant of an assassin who lived during the crusades. Through your DNA scientists are able to read his thoughts and memories and have you get in this crazy machine and go back and live as the assassin. I know it sounds a little far fetched, but it's cool. Anyway, you're in the middle east, and you have to go around and change things for the better. It's kind of like "Quantum Leap", but you get to kill people. The cool thing is that you have to keep as low a profile as possible throughout the whole game. The main focus is to just blend with your surroundings, and as an added bonus this game has some of the best freestyle walking ever. I mean it. This guy just scales buildings as if it were nothing. The controls are somewhat difficult to get the hang of. They are sharp when once you pick them up though. The only thing I can gripe with is that the combat could be a little better, but it's not that big a deal. I'd say that this one gets a 9.5 out of 10, and if you own a 360 or a PS3 you'd be wise to buy this game.
Beau

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario Kart Wii

The Wii is the newest game machine in the Nintendo line up. It's also the hottest console on the market. So of course you know they're going to make all sorts of new and innovative games for it. Sadly they're also going to keep beating all of the dead horses that they have piled up behind their corporate headquarters with games like Zelda, Smash Bros, and Super Mario Blank (feel free to insert whatever word you like instead of blank because if Nintendo has a game that they want to be a success they just throw Mario into it weather it makes sense or not, Super Mario 2 anyone?). So, of course in this tradition, Mario Kart Wii is here! Now at this point many of you a probably thinking that I hat this game. Well, you're wrong, I don't hate this game at all. In fact, I rather like playing. What I don't like are all the played out little tricks and quirks that Nintendo has been up to for like the last ten years. Some of you may not be old enough to remember this, but at one time Nintendo made games that were challenging because they were just that, CHALLENGING. But then, somewhere in the N64 era, they decided that instead of just making games challenging through creative measures they would instead do it by giving the game the ability to cheat. This doesn't occur in all games just games where the cpu characters are trying to achieve the same goal as you, and even then it only happens when the game reaches harder difficulty levels. Now, let me explain what I mean by cheating. It's when the cpu characters (who are preforming the same actions as you to achieve the same goal as you) are given the ability to do things that you could never do without a cybernetic mind like to the game console. I first saw this happen in Dr. Mario 64 (remember what I said about throwing Mario into a game weather it made sense or not, Dr. Mario is a shining example of this, though maybe Mario really did have a PHD, perhaps he was only plumbing on the side to help pay off all of the student loans that he took out to pay for med school, or better yet maybe he got his degree from Mushroom Land Tech which is a sister school to Mushroom Land U and Mushroom Land A&M, but I digress). In DM64 if you play as Mario (you also have th option to play as Wario) when you get to the end of the game you have to play against Wario who then, if you defeat him, swallows a bunch of vitamins and turns into a vampire.....WTF?! I really have no idea how eating a bunch of vitamins turns you into a vampire but trust me at this point the games story has completely fallen apart so it doesn't really matter all that much, not that it ever mattered it because it's a puzzle game, it never needed a story. People don't buy puzzle games because they're looking for an immerse story line to lose themselves in, they buy it because they want to solve puzzles which is exactly why none of us have ever played Tetris RPG. But once again I'm off topic. When you begin to fight Vampire Wario you start to notice that he is somehow able to make pills do things you've only dreamed of like navigate it through a one pill wide path that winds all over the board which actually requires you to walk the pill up hill like it's some kind of reverse slinky. This wouldn't bother me but you can't actually do this with a controller. We've tried. No matter how good you are at the game you can't make the pill move fast enough to keep it from getting locked onto the board when moving it through an area that tight for that long. Mario Kart Wii has that same thing going for it. If you have a koopa shell and throw it backwards it goes strait back from the back of your Kart and travels in whatever direction the back of your kart was facing, however CPU character have the ability to hook their shots to the left and right. Which means that when they're drifting and they shouldn't be able to fire koopa shells backwards at you, because their karts are turned sideways in a full drift, they can and they do. Another thing that irritates me is that the CPU characters don't play to win, they just play to make you lose. For instance, if you get knocked on to the side of the track by an item or something and have spun out many of the CPU character will continue to hit you with items as they pass you even though you're at an almost dead stop trying to make your way back to the track. This may seem like belly aching but hear me out. They're hitting you on their way by, which means that regardless of weather or not they hit you with a koopa shell they were still going to pass you. That doesn't even make sense from a competitive standpoint. Why would you waste an item on a car that is completely incapacitated on the side of the road instead of using it to knock out the car ahead of you so that you could move closer to the front of the pack?! I've also been in situations where I'm coming down the final strait away in a close battle for second while the first place car is only about 3 or 4 car lengths ahead. The CPU character that I'm battling with for second then cuts me off and throws their red koopa shell backwards at me instead of forwards at the first place car. Why knock me out and guarantee second with no chance at first instead of knocking out the lead car? They may still get second but at least if they do that they had a chance at first. But, it's like I said before, the CPU characters aren't playing to win they're playing to prevent you from winning, which sucks. And if all that weren't bad enough, they also have to throw in items that can only hurt you. Item in point, the blooper. When a blooper is used against you it squirts ink all over the screen which blocks your view of the track. Pretty effective at hurting you, however CPU characters are controlled by the CPU!!!! This means that there's nobody controlling them who's view of the track can be obscured meaning that when you get this item you may as well have obtained a photo copy of Shigeru Miyamoto's butt, because it would be just as useful to you as a blooper. Like I said, it's not the game that disappoints me, it's the direction in which Nintendo has decided to go with it's difficulty curve. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I have no problem with a game beating the snot out of me for hours on end as long as I'm learning from it. Many games beat you by using advanced techniques that you can learn by observing the CPU doing them, or they beat you by just genuinely being hard, but when it involves a game in which all the CPU characters a supposed to be on a level playing field with you and are then given special skills and abilities that you can never obtain the game then ceases to be fun and starts becoming cheap. I give Mario Kart Wii a 7 out of 10.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brick by Brick Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: